arthead sf

arthead sf blog was created to bring readers the meaning behind the art. These are not critiques or interviews with artists. Each feature is written entirely by the artist, revealing only what they feel and want readers to know about the featured piece. If you see a piece of art you'd like to know the meaning behind...email me. And subscribe to my blog below to get updates when new features are posted!


Web www.artheadsf.blogspot.com

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Casey Jex Smith


"Chair"
8" x 6" Paper
Ball Point Pen

"I have been an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons, LDS) my entire life and as such have attended Sunday service almost every week of my 29 years. During this time, I'm not sure if there was one Sunday that I did not draw something at church.

The sketchbook comes out for various reasons, but probably the most to keep me awake and attentive. Since I have a formal art practice now, I call this series "Church Drawings". They are all on 8" x 6" paper with ball point pen. This drawing, like most of them, has representational objects that I see at church; the fold-up metal chair, lillies from a Biblical narrative painting, John the Baptist's head, scribbles from a blind contour, and some decorative pattern that could have been on a tie or dress. They are built up together to make some visual sense or nonsense. Either one is okay with me. In the end, they are concerned with that environment and it's sights, sounds, and impressions."

By Casey Jex Smith
http://www.caseyjexsmith.com/

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Casey J. Smith conjures, or attempts to conjure God, the devine light, through drawing. John Casey (I) conjures, or attempts to, the other, the darkness, through his work.

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home