arthead sf

arthead sf blog was created to bring readers the meaning behind the art. These are not critiques or interviews with artists. Each feature is written entirely by the artist, revealing only what they feel and want readers to know about the featured piece. If you see a piece of art you'd like to know the meaning behind...email me. And subscribe to my blog below to get updates when new features are posted!


Web www.artheadsf.blogspot.com

Friday, September 29, 2006

Sarah Spitler


" Cuz it wasn't always what it was but it was always somethin' "
36H X 42W
Acrylic, latex, ink, spraypaint, and graphite on Mylar

"So this, like alot of my work is, in essence, me trying to figure out my own language and re-interpret it visually. I am really influenced by Chaos Theory - what that basically means to me is the potentiality of things. It's really inspiring to think about how small things can have a huge impact down the line, when thought about in terms of contingency, or cause and effect. Everything has the potential to affect everything else in the universe, so I really enjoy paying attention to the way elements in a painting touch each other - it's kind of a reflection of human existence on the planet, but also works in innumerable microcosms - from the prescence of a single strand of DNA in a cell, to the precise position of a planet within a solar system - each defines itself and its contingent elements due to a small variation deep within itself.

The Mylar serves as a kind of "plasma" for all the elements to exist within, yet still remain connected to the world outside and within itself - it's easy for me to imagine tiny worlds that make up the translucency of the material. That, and its milkyness is really attractive to me.Overall, I guess this particular piece is about change, evolution, and potentiality, so that sort of what the title is pointing at."

By Sarah Spitler
http://www.sarahspitler.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home