arthead sf

arthead sf blog was created to bring readers the meaning behind the art. These are not critiques or interviews with artists. Each feature is written entirely by the artist, revealing only what they feel and want readers to know about the featured piece. If you see a piece of art you'd like to know the meaning behind...email me. And subscribe to my blog below to get updates when new features are posted!


Web www.artheadsf.blogspot.com

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Hunter Mack


"Fortunately Positioned"
18 inches by 24 inches
Charcoal and Gouache

"This is a fairly typical piece of mine, but one of my personal favorites. Typically, I like pieces that look totally worked; I'm talking about sweat and guts remade into a painting or drawing. So, I like Jim Dine, obviously. Another glaring influence is Schiele, so I'll lay that down pretty quick.

Most of the time I have a shape in my mind when I begin a drawing. It's usually a pretty androgynous shape, but I know the positioning and the intersections. For this one I drew it out on watercolor paper using different charcoals, avoiding any erasure marks since that doesn't work too well on this paper. When the right shape takes place, I then laid down 10 or 12 extremely watered down gouache colors until it felt right. (Then a layer of fixative so it doesn't get all messed up).

The two main elements that I focus on are color and shape. It's how these two play out in the viewer's head that interest me the most. So, there's never a particular subject or person, just a feeling that I try and get across to whoever looks at the piece. Picking out elbows or armpits isn't really a concern.

In the end, using charcoal and gouache allows every mark to come out in the finished drawing so it's kind of a fully comprehensive document outlining the progression of it from start to finish, and that's an important story in and of itself."

By Hunter Mack
http://www.artamiss.org/artist_detail.php?artist_id=82

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home