arthead sf

arthead sf blog was created to bring readers the meaning behind the art. These are not critiques or interviews with artists. Each feature is written entirely by the artist, revealing only what they feel and want readers to know about the featured piece. If you see a piece of art you'd like to know the meaning behind...email me. And subscribe to my blog below to get updates when new features are posted!


Web www.artheadsf.blogspot.com

Sunday, September 09, 2007

Brendan Monroe

"Eating Shit”
5.5 x 6 inches
Acrylic and collage (paint scrapings) on paper

This little guy is embodying the feeling I was feeling when I made it. It was one of those things that sort of twists in your stomach and you don’t know how exactly to get it out. I had some nervous anxiety. I had just said yes to a decision I wasn’t so sure was right. Not morally or anything, this was about my future career, something that might change things and I didn’t know if it was for the better or terribly worse. At least that was my worry, was this decision the right one, and if it was why was my stomach telling me anxiously that it didn’t like it. Maybe it was this little yellow guy in there that was saying, ‘hey don’t feed me this crap, do I really have to eat this’? Since making this, I had decided to go back and change that choice. I don’t know if that was the right thing either, but it made me feel better. Maybe it was just not exactly the right timing to be making these kinds of decisions so I can only hope that the opportunity will be there again when I’m ready for it.

By Brendan Monroe
www.brendanmonroe.com

A little about Brendan:
Age: 27
Live/Work: I live and work in Berkeley with my girlfriend Evah and cat Jalapeño.
One thing most people don't know about you: I like gardening when I have time. I tend to grow lot of tomatoes but don’treally like to eat them.
Upcoming show: A solo show coming up at Richard Heller Gallery in LA. Opening October13th.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home