arthead sf

arthead sf blog was created to bring readers the meaning behind the art. These are not critiques or interviews with artists. Each feature is written entirely by the artist, revealing only what they feel and want readers to know about the featured piece. If you see a piece of art you'd like to know the meaning behind...email me. And subscribe to my blog below to get updates when new features are posted!


Web www.artheadsf.blogspot.com

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Kevin Taylor


"Allegiance"
6 x 9
Materials: gouache, whiteout, graphite
Created in 30 minutes

"Once, when I was visiting a friend in Atlanta, Georgia, we were walking through his neighborhood which is called Cabbagetown. We came upon a nice pile of thrown out goods on the sidewalk. Amongst some other random items, was a really classy, tattered, and ancient notebook. The cover of the book was blank except for a yellow post-it note that read "Poetry from my early teens". Most of the book was empty, but on a few pages there were newspaper cutouts of published poems by whom I believe was the owner of the book. The cutouts were all published between 1925 - 1927. The paper had a great quality and naturally caught my eye. I took the book with the mind to fill it up with some drawings of my own. The image below, "Allegiance", is one of the drawings from that effort. Like a lot of my drawings, I begin not with an idea, but rather a stain. I spill or spit some fluid onto the paper, creating a random puddle of some sort. After the paper dries, I then get to looking "into" the stain for appealing imagery. Once the foundation of the image is established I begin excavating the image from the stain. The drawing is finished when a fully realized rendering arises from the once ambiguous blob. I enjoy this "looking glass" process quite a bit since it always produces some visual that would not have been created through a conscious mind."

By Kevin Taylor
www.kevinearltaylor.com

A little about Kevin:
Live/Work: San Francisco
Next upcoming show: The conference room, Feb. 16th, los angeles, www.theconfroom.com


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home