arthead sf

arthead sf blog was created to bring readers the meaning behind the art. These are not critiques or interviews with artists. Each feature is written entirely by the artist, revealing only what they feel and want readers to know about the featured piece. If you see a piece of art you'd like to know the meaning behind...email me. And subscribe to my blog below to get updates when new features are posted!


Web www.artheadsf.blogspot.com

Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Brad K Alder


"Gold Forest Enemies"
20x20
Metal, glass, wood, acrylic and aerosol

This piece was created for the ‘January 20x20’ group show at 111 Minna Gallery in San Francisco, 2008. What we have here is three of my signature ‘shapes’; the blue one is a good positive guy going through the forest (which is reflected in the glass), however there are two other negative guys coming towards him. Those are the enemies in the Gold Forest, and you can see the horizon line at the bottom of the piece. –Not quite sure what will happen to the good guy after they tangle… usually the good guy wins in popular culture but here the odds don’t look so good for him.

A bit about the creation of this piece: My friend Ray Buffalo owns a great woodworking studio in my neighborhood and I brought over my shapes for him to cut out, and he was able to cut the shapes as precisely as I had drawn them. Next I bought a glass cutter to fit the glass into the metal frame (which I found on the street). Then I took a cab down to 111 Minna and hung this sweet 30 pound beast of art.

Thanks to Ray Buffalo (http://www.raybuffalo.com/) and to my favorite gallery in San Francisco, 111 Minna Gallery (http://www.111minnagallery.com/).

Brad K. Alder
www.bradkalder.com



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home